CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Heads or Tails!

Today's HoT Topic...Tip or anything that rhymes with tip.

I am going to go with TIP.

I am working on a list of TIPS that students should know. Really it's a list of real life lessons they are learning in school...I just don't think they know they are learning them.

Here is the rough draft of my TIPS for students:

1. Due means due. When you get out of school, the electric company isn't going to care that you "just forgot" to pay your bill. They will turn your electric off and make you pay a late fee.
2. Some jobs will fire you for chronic tardiness. They don't care that your best friend broke up with her boyfriend or that you just had to answer your text. Break the tardy habit now.
3. Sometimes you will have to work with people (or for people) you don't like. It is a fact of life. Learn to deal with that now to avoid potential problems later.
4. Rules are made to be followed (not broken). Rules are in place to maintain order and avoid potential problems. Your boss will not care if you think a rule is fair or not. He will only care that you follow it.
5. Promotions aren't just given out. They are earned. If you want to advance in life, you must work for it. No one is going to just hand you what you want. Earn what you have.
6. A 70% is not a success rate. You would not go to a doctor who was right only 70% of the time. You wouldn't hire a lawyer who only knew 70% of the law and you wouldn't want to listen to a musician hit only 70% of her notes. Strive for better.
7. Life is not always fair. It is how you deal with the times life seems unfair that shows who you truly are.
8. Sometimes life is hard. Accepting the challenges and rising above them show commitment and drive. People like that...and you will like the outcome if you stick with it instead of giving up.
9. Preparation is key. If your boss ever asks you to do a presentation, entertain clients, plan a lesson, change a transmission or send out a memo, you need to think of what the task consists of ahead of time. Lack of preparation on your part could result in bad business for your company.
10. Everyone has the potential for greatness. It is what you do with that potential that determines your success. Never settle for less than what you deserve...even if others are saying otherwise.

What do you think? What advice do you wish you would have gotten while you were still in school?

1 rambled with me...:

Anonymous said...

I wish my teachers would have had higher expectations of me. I always waited until the last minute to do work, only half-assed it then and still got good grades. I only had one teacher push me, and since 8th grade everything I've done has been because of self motivation. I don't care who you are sometimes it's really difficult to be self motivated. I could have done a lot better if more was expected of me.