CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 21, 2008

Heads or Tails Tuesday!

Today's HoT theme is direction or directing...

I was unsure as to which direction to go with this tonight. I could talk about my feeble attempts at directing freshmen in very rough reading/performance of Romeo and Juliet. I could talk about the direction the economy seems to be going (down) or the direction airline prices are definitely going (up). I could talk about how great I am at following driving directions but how bad I am at remembering them (it takes me forever to remember how to get certain places...even if I have been there more than once.) I could even talk about which direction I would like to go for vacation (south, please)...but I won't.

Instead, I am going to talk about direction change in my classroom...in the manner of desks.

I found that the quickest way to mess with kids is just to move the desks. Over Spring break I went in and rearranged everything and faced the desks in a new direction. You should have seen the kids faces when they came in that Monday--they didn't know what to do. I was blown away that a simple direction change could stop thirty 14 year olds in their tracks. I directed all of them to sit anywhere (for the time being) and many of them remained rooted to one spot...obviously confused by the fact that:

1. There was a new seating arrangement
2. I didn't have a seating chart planned out for them yet.

Eventually they got over the change and they have since adapted to the new direction. I guess now I know how to get their attention. Funny. I never thought something that a simple desk direction change could be my best classroom management tool.

Someone should put that in a college course...

9 rambled with me...:

ShannonW said...

You should teach that too all instructors :)

Barb said...

I used to LOVE when my teachers would rearrange the desks!!!!

Rambler said...

oh we are so used to things...that change surprises us a lot..
btw it had been quite a while reading you..glad to read here again.

Tumblewords: said...

Amazing, isn't it? I've read about this in management magazines. We are so committed to routine in some areas...

Natalie said...

That's so funny that changing the desks confused them so much!

Unknown said...

Actually I loved when the teachers I had did that, made class more interesting and mixed things up. Great idea and great HorT post.
Mine is up @ The Cafe if you'd like to pop by.

Inspiration Alley said...

Thought provoking post. I thought it was only my son who'd be phased by a new seating arrangement, as he has Prosopagnosia - an inability to recognise faces, so relies on other factors such as place in class for recognition.

Shan said...

Wow! Lots of people swinging by today. I will be sure to stop by and visit you all soon. I have to battle a fight with spring allergies for the time being...I will be around soon!

Misty DawnS said...

I can understand that - As an adult, routine means comfort and stability to me... change my routine and I'm all outta whack hehe