CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bothered

I don't know how many of you have seen the previews for the new comedy Miss Guided, but I need to vent about the whole idea of the show...

I work hard to prove that teaching is a noble, honest, and admirable profession. I work hard to make sure that my students know that there is a very THICK line between me and them and I spend so much time trying to convince people (who think my job is easy) that I work hard and am worthy of a little praise.

So what does Hollywood do? They take everything that I have been trying to instill in people and turn it COMPLETELY around. They show the principal sleeping in his car during the school day. They make school guidance counselors look like fools, and the seem to have a storyline involving how many students want to "do" the hot female teachers. In fact, one of the lines from a female teacher is "It is so cool to walk through the halls and know that all the guys think I'm do-able." Add to that the guidance counselor's dismay at the fact that she is ranked 40th on the hot teachers list.

As if the teaching profession didn't have enough to worry about. Now we have Hollywood painting us like fools. I know that some people won't understand why this upsets me and that's okay. All I know is that kids are impressionable and the last thing we teachers need is for students to think we really care where they rank us on the "hot teacher" scale.

5 rambled with me...:

Barb said...

Hollywood sucks sometimes.

Angie said...

I just had this same conversation with a couple teachers at our school. I was very bothered by this show also.

Mike said...

Add to that all the teacher student relationships that have cropped up lately. Good teachers are worth their weight in gold. Don't let it get you down, all the people with brains know it isn't like that in real life.

Shan said...

I'm glad that I am not the only one who is bothered by this concept. If I think about it, I may send a strongly worded email to the network...

Andree said...

that's disgusting. no, i have not even heard of the show. now i am torn: should i watch once or not. If i watch i'll be as livid as you. you would think with all of the news reports of teachers involved in sexual misconduct that just perhaps this would be an inappropriate topic. too bad hollywood folks didn't get a bit more education themselves. and taste.

PS I'm a teacher too.