CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Heads or Tails Tuesday

Today Skittles has asked us to blog about part of a house. I have to spend some time giving a shout out to my kitchen.

Before anyone thinks I've gone loco (more so than usual) I guess I should explain...When TJ and I had our first house, we had a tiny kitchen. It was cute and functional, but tiny. We had very little counter space, even less cabinet space and very little space to move around. When I say very little counter space, that's what I mean. This was the whole kitchen...the cabinets you see is what we had:


When we decided to build a new house, I knew what I wanted in a kitchen: LOTS of cabinets, LOTS of counter space and a center island. When we were cutting square footage to keep in budget, I told our builder that he better not touch my kitchen--and, in the end, that was the only room that we didn't decrease in size. In fact, now that I think about it, we may have actually gained a few feet while moving other things around. We got rid of the double oven plan and put in a HUGE cabinet pantry. People thought we were crazy to nix the double oven, but I figured I had successfully cooked Thanksgiving dinners without one before and, let's face it, that was the only time I would have ever used it.

In the end we saved a load of money by axing the double oven, we gained a ton of storage space, and we even have a little wine rack. I hadn't ever actually looked at photos of the two kitchens close to each other before, but I think you will be able to see why I am soooo much happier! In all honesty, the pictures don't really do it justice...but it's the best I've got!)


Want to play, too? head over to Skittles' Place to find out how!

8 rambled with me...:

Kimberly A. Suta said...

I would love for your blog to be a part of blog4reel.com - the first ever blog-to-film competition. And it is free! - Kimberly

Jen said...

WOW, I'd love your kitchen you are in now!!! It reminds me of my kitchen in the house we just sold. *TEARS*. I loved this post! Thanks for stopping by my HoT!

Barb said...

I could not function in a kitchen without counter space. And I thought my apartment kitchen was lacking. Sheesh.

I love the new one!

Heart of Rachel said...

I think your first kitchen looks really nice and cozy but I love your new kitchen.

We're saving to have our kitchen extended and renovated too.

Misty DawnS said...

I LOVE your kitchen now!!! How beautiful!

Mike said...

Kitchens always seem to be the smallest room in a house for some reason. Perhaps it's because fewer people actually use them now lol. I like bigger kitchens and yours looks very nice. A good post for this weeks meme.

Shan said...

Thanks to all! My kitchen is my fave room in our whole house. I use it a great deal, so that's good :-)

And I love the counter space!

Andree said...

i thought your tiny kitchen was gorgeous, but wow, this new one is fantastic. blue with wood is so warm and nice. and those little bitty lights up there (what do they call them?) are great.