CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

Auntie Em, Auntie Em!

Wow--we just had an interesting weather night here in Rambling Shan land...

Last night I was lounging on my couch trying to watch the episode of CSI that I had taped earlier. I fell asleep and woke up about 20 minutes later to a severe weather alert...first of all, interesting that my DVR is overridden when there is a sever weather alert. Second of all, holy cow...this was a massive storm...and it was headed right for us. I have never seen so much red in a storm in all my life...

And it came with tornado warnings.

So TJ and I start making all the necessary precautions--we called my parents (because we knew they were sleeping and unaware of the impending storm), got the weather radio, got the flashlight and candles ready, unplugged all of out major electronic devices, grabbed the dogs' leashes and waited. As we watched the news they said there were 100 MPH winds and hail up to 2 inches. This storm was dropping rain at a speed of 2 inches an hour (and considering we haven't had much rain around here, this is a lot--and could cause some major problems). The lightening that was going on outside was creepy--it was like someone was bombing the apartment complex across from us...the sky just kept lighting up.

We both sat in bed and continued to watch the news and around 11:30, a tornado warning was issued for our area. We grabbed shoes and the weather radio, grabbed the dogs and headed down to the basement, ready for anything. We sat on the floor watching the weather and waiting.

Just as soon as it started, it was over--it's like the storm just lost something. We were relieved and went back upstairs (well, most of us...for some reason Gizmo refused to walk back up the stairs so TJ had to go and carry him up.)

We slept with the weather radio on since the weather guy said that the storms would last through the night and that they were all capable of tornadoes. Needless to say, neither of us got much sleep...and now I am working my way through coffee and plan on more caffeine throughout the day. It was an odd night and I am glad that it is over. Hopefully tonight will be more peaceful.

1 rambled with me...:

Marci said...

Oh my goodness - what an experience! Thank goodness that you are okay.

PS - I have given you an award - come on by and pick it up! It is the least I can do after you have always been so kind to me :)