CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What Do You Think?

I don't know how far this news reached, so let me bring you all up to speed before I ask my question.

A few weeks ago, during our massive heat wave, and assistant principal of a local school left her two year old daughter in her car while she was at work. The mother, who deviated from her morning routine that day, said she simply forgot that her daughter was in the car. She usually left home, dropped her daughter off at the baby sitter's and then went to work. This day, however, she had to stop and get donuts for a morning faculty meeting, so she did not stop at the babysitters. Instead, she took her daughter with her. Video shows her getting to school and making numerous trips to the car to get donuts...but she then takes the car to the parking lot, parks, leaves and goes into work...leaving her child in the car. The car sat in the parking lot for nearly eight hours. Sadly, the girl did not make it. How can you be so routine based that you forget that your two-year-old is in the car with you? That alone tells me that something is very wrong.

Now...here is where the controversy comes in. No charges are being filed against her. Some people are outraged because other cases similar to this have yielded charges (recently a doctor left his kids in the car while he ran into Lowes' and a police officer broke the car windows and arrested the guy for child endangerment), but this one did not. There seems to be no written law about this situation. In fact, the school board isn't even sure what to do--they are discussing whether or not to let her keep her job--and people have plenty to say about that, too.

I know how I feel about this, but, my question to you is this: how do you feel about this? Should she have been charged? Should she keep her job? Is she being punished enough just knowing what she did?

14 rambled with me...:

Marci said...

Wow, what a story. On one hand, I feel terrible for the sense of loss that this mother must be experiencing. On the other hand, you are right - was her routine that mechanical that she completely forgot her daughter was with her? I am horrified at her actions, and horrified that there will be no justice. At the very least, she should lose her job - it is difficult to trust her fully after such a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

What I think is crazy is the fact that if she were in KY she would be facing 5-10 years. I know that if anything happened to my child, I could not go on living. But I could not imagine being in such a routine that I would forget him. I was so upset by this story. I'll leave it up to you to figure out my feelings on this one :)

Anonymous said...

Why would she not be charged?? I must be missing something!

Anonymous said...

I think she should be charged and lose her job. Being an assistant principle she is in charge of many children at a time...it would seem to me that if she forgets her own child is in the car, she would not be capable of handling many children. As for her going to her car many times to get doughnuts and such, no one can make me believe during all of that she never saw her child or her child never made a noise. Even as she backed her car up she would have seen her baby. This is complete irresponsibility and she should be charged.

It also amazes me that you can be in such a routine you would forget your child. Yes I forget to pick up stamps, or forget we needed butter at the grocery but I would never forget there was a baby in my car. I feel sad for the mother, I'm sure she's suffering a great loss but she should be punished.

One other thing...why do we never hear of these stories in the winter? Are people still leaving there children in cars and they live? I'm baffeled

Shan said...

Marci: I agree that this is a horrible story and that there are many sides to it. It is all so confusing.

melissa: I totally know your thoughts. :-)

mama: they found no reason to charge her with a crime--they are saying it wasn't a criminal act...but what confuses me is that someone DIED--this is why Ohio needs a law or some clear cut punishments.

Nicole: I couldn't have said it better--you are so right! You forget to buy milk...you don't forget you have a kid in the car. I completely agree with you.

Jeni said...

It's my understanding of this case that it is the way the law is written in Ohio, vs most other states that it is not a terrible criminal offense.
I have to agree with everyone about her being that forgetful. Geez, I have lots and lots of senior moments - and I am a senior citizen too, for real -I forget what day it is, forget to pay this or that because I don't pay attention to dates at times -but I've never forgotten when I go someplace and have my grandchildren in the car -usually just one at a time though -nor did I ever forget when my kids were small, and I was really, really stressed out with them, their dad, loads of other things then, that I had them in the car.
Seems we both blogged about headline news that is atrocious today. I was totally flabbergasted by the six people in West Virginia who abducted, then tortured a young black woman there and blogged about that.

bundle-o-contradictions said...

My first inclination is to want to wring the woman's neck. Then I (actually!) think.
How big was the vehicle? If it was one of those massive "mini"vans, I could see how it might be possible to forget a small human occupying it. A sedan? No way.
Also, how remorseful is she? Just barely?-Slap the chains on 'er. Beating herself up?-I suppose I could have some sympathy.
I just can't help it, though. The woman could remember donuts, but not her child??

Shan said...

jeni--how right you are! The law in Ohio does not count what she did as a criminal act while it would count as one in other states.

bundle: She seems remorseful and her car was an SUV--and I totally agree! The donuts were out of her daily routine, too, but she remembered those!

Anonymous said...

All because she didn't INTEND to leave her 2 year old in the car!!! Just because she didn't do it on purpose she gets away with murder...literally! And that's all I've got to say about that :)

Berni said...

Can't imagine why she should get away with this. How can you forget your child.

Hi there from Canada, I started the 'Warm the Globe thru Friendship' thingy and just wanted to say hello.

Shan said...

Yes, melissa, that is so true...so if you don't intend to hurt someone, but you do anyway, I guess you shouldn't be charged.

Hi, vic! Thanks so much for stopping by. I think your Warm the Globe idea is great!

Blank-Socrate said...

I enjoyed your blog and your human Sense

Shan said...

Thanks, blank! So nice of you to stop by!

Anonymous said...

The problem is we are forced to stick our children in the back seat where they are out of sight, even in a sedan.

Cars should be redesigned so car seats and young children can safely go in the front seats. Then our children will be in our sight and tragedies will be less likely to happen.

I think compassion should be shown for this woman. She has lost her daughter to what I am sure was a tragic mistake.

BTW my 5 year old fell asleep on the school bus and the bus driver forgot him. Lukily he had woken up by the time she got back to the parking lot and she saw him. She called to explain why he was late and brought him home in her private vehicle. But mandatory walk throughs she be mandatory for bus drivers.