CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 24, 2007

Be True to Your School!

It is amazing how time gets away from me. I meant to post yesterday, but I was a little feeling a little under the weather (as an after effect of the entire bottle of wine I consumed Saturday...yep...you read that right...an entire bottle...yikes). TJ and I went to The Shadowbox Cabaret and had a great night. We had never been before, and we were surprised at how great the band was and how fantastic the sketch comedy was. Plus, I knew the bass player (well, I thought I did...I thought it was a guy I went to school with...turned out it was his brother...close enough).

So, After consuming a whole bottle of wine, I wasn't feeling up to posting anything yesterday, so I took the day off. And, as I look back at recent posts, I haven't had much to say lately...I think I have been so busy with work that I haven't even thought about it.

I wanted to take this opportunity to show my support for Mike Gundy, coach for Oklahoma State football. Recently there was an article printed in an Oklahoma newspaper that belittled his quarterback. In a press conference, Gundy told the reporter exactly what he thought about what he had to say. Gundy stood up for this kid (and too often we forget that they are kids) and let the public know that much of the article was speculation and not true. Gundy was upset that the reporter attacked the character and the emotions of this college kid--and he said if the paper wanted to attack someone, they should have attacked him because he is older and can handle it. Instead, this college kid has to deal with undeserved scrutiny in his hometown.

I do think we often forget that these players are kids--they are younger than most of us and are under enormous pressure. We just assume that because they are on the field and playing a sport on television they can handle everything thrown at them, but they can't...they are amateurs. Think about the pressures of college already and then add to it the public eye--and you have a recipe for disaster.

I think that these kids need to be treated with a little respect and kindness--they are still playing because they love the game. They aren't getting paid, they do their best, and they play their hearts out. Don't believe me? Watch the player reactions when they lose a college football game...it is heartbreaking.

I think that college players should be in the media for their playing ability only--and no reporter, no matter how right they think they are, should attack the emotions and psyche of any kid.

So, I send kudos to Mike Gundy for standing up for his player. At least the kid knows he has one on his side...and now, because of the media coverage of Gundy's outburst, I think he has more.

0 rambled with me...: