CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Avast, Me Hearties!

I case you didn't know, today is annual "Talk Like a Pirate" Day...

So, Argggg and Ahoy! If you need some help in your lingo, check out this basic list provided by the Talk Like a Pirate site (yes, they have an actual site)

The Basics
Pirate lingo is rich and complicated, sort of like a good stew. There are several other sites that offer glossaries that are pretty good, and you can find some of them on our links page.

But if you just want a quick fix, a surface gloss, a "pirate patina," if you will, here are the five basic words that you cannot live without. Master them, and you can face Talk Like a Pirate Day with a smile on your face and a parrot on your shoulder, if that's your thing.

Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"

Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."

Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

And, for you single people, the top ten pirate pick-up lines:

10 . Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?
9. Have ya ever met a man with a real yardarm?
8. Come on up and see me urchins.
7. Yes, that is a hornpipe in my pocket and I am happy to see you.
6. I'd love to drop anchor in your lagoon.
5. Pardon me, but would ya mind if fired me cannon through your porthole?
4. How'd you like to scrape the barnacles off of me rudder?
3. Ya know, darlin’, I’m 97 percent chum free.
2. Well blow me down?

And the number one pickup line for use on International Talk Like a Pirate Day is …

1. Prepare to be boarded.

So, me hearties! Enjoy this savvy Talk Like a Pirate Day! And leave me a comment, me buckos!

6 rambled with me...:

Barb said...

You're so funny! :)

Shan said...

Odd that it really is talk like a pirate day...who would have thought that talking like a pirate would be so darn popular!

The Curmudgeon said...

Somehow I doubt that pick-up line would work even on International Talk Like a Pirate Day....

Marci said...

I am so impressed that you knew about Talk Like a Pirate Day - I actually had it saved on my Outlook calendar from last year. Any excuse to squint one eye and go: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

Shan said...

I did know...and I told all my students about it. I think it is hilarious.

And, in case anyone wonders, tomorrow is National Punch Day.

Quilting Pirate said...

LOL I love the pick up lines!