CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 26, 2007

What's Wrong With People?

In an earlier post, I talked about the man who abused his dog, China, only to get her back in the long run. I wondered for a long time what was wrong with him and the judge because I think both are crazy. Then, just as a thought that I had heard the height of insanity, I read a story Friday that made me nauseous.

Scott Braunstein, operator of House of Reptiles in my great state of Kentucky, traveled around to schools and festivals with his many reptiles. He did this in hopes of educating people about them. Let's face it--reptiles have a bad reputation all around, so he was trying to make people see that they aren't all that bad. One of the "stars" of his show was Popcorn--a two year old, ten foot long albino Burmese Python. The snake was calm, loved attention, and usually was content laying in the sun at festivals and enjoying the attention.

Last Sunday, all that changed.

Braunstein was sitting in the petting zoo area while Popcorn lounged in the sun. People walked by and pointed and laughed about this huge animal just lying there. Then a boy wandered into the petting zoo area and stood next to Popcorn. He proceeded to tell Braunstein that he hated snakes. Braunstein told the boy that that was okay (since he was used to that kind of thing). He asked the boy just to leave the snake be because it wasn't bothering anyone.

Instead, the boy lifted his foot and brought it down on the python's head.

Popcorn went into convulsions. As Braunstein tended to his python, the boy's father appeared, grabbed him, said "This is why I can't take you anywhere," and rushed off through the crowd. He didn't apologize, ask if there was anything he could do...nothing.

Popcorn later died because the blow severed his head from his spinal cord.

I can't believe the boy took such drastic actions just because he doesn't like snakes. Honestly, I hate spiders, but I'm not going to do to the insect house at the zoo and try to kill them all. I just stay away. I also want to know how the father could have just grabbed the kid and walked away. He has taught his son nothing except how to get away when you commit a crime.

Braunstein is hoping that someone saw the pair and turn them in, but it hasn't happened yet. He also plans to try to use this tragedy as an educational opportunity for the future.

So, the snake stomping boy and his father have been added to my list of people who make no sense to me whatsoever. How people can harm other living things like that is a mystery to me...and how people can watch it happen and say nothing is a greater mystery.

5 rambled with me...:

Barb said...

I don't like snakes, but this is just crazy!

Alison said...

I'm not a snake lover either (I don't like spiders or other crawly things for that matter). But, you are so right - if you don't like something you just stay away. You don't try to go in where you KNOW those things are and harm an animal for no reason. As for that father - I often wonder what we are teaching our children these days. Thanks for posting this and bringing attention to it!!

BTW - thanks for visiting my blog and leaving those sweet comments! I love Skittles Place and visit at least once a day! It's nice to "meet" you as it's great talking with other teachers on here. I will be back for sure!!

Shan said...

skittles: I told my dad this story (he HATES snakes) and even he thought it was crazy.

alison: Welcome and thanks for stopping by. I also worry about what we teach kids today. Just last week I had kids tell me cheating was okay as long as you got good grades.

Jennifer said...

The poor snake, that is just terrible. I would hate to be stomped to death...ouchy.

I like snakes, but am not a owner or anything like that. When I was a kid I used to "plant" them in my mom's garden while she was weeding. It was great fun. She would scream like you never heard...LOL...

Shan said...

I never minded snakes when I was a kid (tomboy, I guess). I don't love them now, but I don't hate them. Spiders are a different story, however...which is why TJ has to get rid of them for me.