CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 2, 2007

No Pass, No Drive

Awhile back the slogan for Kentucky was "Where Education Pays." That slogan went out the window a few years ago (now we have the cheesy "Unbridled Spirit" slogan), but it seems we are finally living up to our old slogan...Kentucky has just passed a "No Pass, No Drive" law that affects teens that are 16 and 17 and looking to obtain a permit or driver's license.

According to a story printed on Channel Cincinnati, this law states that all students ages 16 or 17 may be denied a driver’s license or have a license revoked for academic deficiency. A student is considered academically deficient when s/he has not passed at least four courses or the equivalent of four courses in the previous semester, has accumulated nine or more unexcused absences, or has dropped out of school. Students have to provide documentation from the school that proves they are not academically deficient before they can obtain a permit/license.

I think this is a fabulous idea! Also, I think it is fabulous that Kentucky is making kids keep up their grades by adding to the law that a license can also be revoked.

My thought on the whole driver's license thing has always been this: How can you fail every subject in school, and yet, when it comes to your driver's test, you pass with flying colors? All you have proven to me is that you can study and pass, but you are choosing not to in school. Also, I told TJ last night that if a kids can't pass his classes at school I sure as heck don't want him in the car behind me on the expressway! Giving a teen a car to drive is a huge responsibility, and too often they think it is their right to drive when they turn 16--they don't see it as a privilege. I am hoping that this law changes that a bit.

I'm sure that there will be an uprising as a result of this (it went into effect on Wednesday), but I hope Kentucky sticks to its guns. I know that some parents and some kids are going to be upset and feel that this is unfair, but I think it is a smart (no pun intended) move on the lawmakers' part--we need to push these kids somehow and explaining the importance of state test scores isn't working. Maybe this will.

Does your state have a law like this? What are your thoughts?

5 rambled with me...:

Jojo a. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shan said...

Wow! I know that in Kentucky they recently passed a new law that requires teens to have the permit for six months before they can get a license. When I got mine it was 30 days. They also have a lot of restrictions about who can be in the car with the teen, etc.

I, too, think all of this is a great idea--kids get the car and think they are adults. maybe this will help them see that there is more to life than driving.

Jane said...

I was so excited to get my driver's liscence that my academic performance suffered a great deal. If it wasn't for my parents who told me I wouldn't get a car until my average was higher than 85%, I would have failed my 12th grade 10 times in a row. I think the idea is a good one, teens will do anything to drive, and that does include working harder at school.

Barb said...

Once again, I am with you one this! I'm a believer in kids participating in sports should have to maintain a good GPA, too.

Shan said...

I'm so glad that everyone who has read this so far thinks it is a good idea.

gotcha: I am with you...kids will do just about anything to drive. maybe this will push them to get better grades.

skittles: I am with you there, too. To often atheletes get by with lower grades than others just because they play sports. That can't happen.