CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 25, 2007

Teenagers (Part I)

No, not mine (since I don't have any)...

As anyone who knows me already knows, I teach freshmen...well, teach is a relative term. For many I babysit 8 hours a day. Anyway, I digress.

We decided at the start of this semester that the kids would be working to earn a "work ethic certificate" that would gain them entrance into our freshman field day (read: day for them to do whatever they want outside). We told them they had to get 14/20 points to go. That really isn't asking much. So, the deadline comes about and nearly half my kids don't even turn in their papers...and they asked "can I have extra time?" Uh, HELLO! It is a WORK ETHIC certificate...duh.

Anywho, today was the day. We held our RAP auction in the morning for all kids (which was awesome, by the way) and then, after lunch, we called the kids who earned the certificate (hereafter known as the good kids) up to leave the auditorium and the other kids (hereafter known as the bad kids) had to stay in the auditorium and do work for three hours. Let me tell you...they were PISSED that they didn't get to go. I mean, not to brag about how awesome the day was, but we have a DJ (outside), Mr. Softie came to give the kids ice cream, they had free drinks, and entire field to run around in...for over two hours. It was amazing (hot, but amazing). The kids on the field were well behaved, everyone was having a great time and they really seemed to enjoy the free time (and so did we--we had just about as much fun as they did).

Then the end of the day came and I popped in to check on the bad kids--and boy, were they BAD. They had trashed the auditorium, refused to do work, were throwing things at one another and refused to behave. I found out that nearly 25 of them had been written up already (much to the distaste of our in school suspension teacher), but it still wasn't good enough. As I walked out I heard "this isn't fair" "this is cruel" "this sucks." You know what...it does. But you put yourself in that situation so I have ZERO sympathy. ZERO.

And, to top it all off, bad kids were sneaking out of the auditorium to hang out with the good kids. Why? Because somewhere in the last few years many kids have developed this sense of entitlement that I can't understand. (I was eating candy in class the other day and this kid said "well, if you get to, then so do I." I was like "excuse me?" I would have never said things like that). Anyway, the bad kids really felt that they had the right (and were entitled to) attend field day. Their punishment? A day of in school suspension. (whoopideedoo!) Like they care--that means they don't have to be in class for a day. Why is that punishment?

Overall, today was great. I did realize that I really like some of the kids that I have--they are nice and funny and respectful. I also realized how much I don't like the other kids that I have. They are rude, disrespectful, mean, angry and have a sense of entitlement. I'll be glad when that half goes. Wait--what am I saying--they'll fail and I will see them again! Lucky me!

Will I be sad to see some of the kids go on June 5th? Sure. But, there are other kids that have opened up and shown me their true personalities over the course of the last nine months and I will really miss them. Too often they leave their freshman year and I never see them again--they forget me (although they say they won't) and I rarely, if ever, get thanked for any work that I do for them. But, if I were in this for glory, I would be in the wrong place.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am off to take a shower--I need to wash the "field day" off. Enjoy your Friday!

0 rambled with me...: