CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech

As a teacher I am always worried about the safety of my students, my colleagues and myself. TJ always tells me that I should teach college because it is better and he wouldn't worry about me as much. After yesterday's incident, he has changed his tune. It is sad to think that nowhere is safe now. And, considering the amount of publicity that this has gotten over the last few days, I would not be surprised to see an outbreak of school violence in the next week or so. It's always how it happens. Those who take actions like this are looking to make a statement or prove a point and, if those incidents keep getting so much air time, I worry that the shooters are being glamorized. It seems that if the media would leave it be, things would be better. I am not saying that we shouldn't know what happened; what I am saying is that it shouldn't monopolize our air waves.

And, as far as the shooter goes, I am appalled by the fact that he took the actions that he did and then took his own life. It's like he couldn't even face what he did. Instead, we are left to try to figure out his motives. That makes it even harder for all involved.

My prayers go out to all the friends and families of the victims.

0 rambled with me...: