CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 23, 2007

I'm Confused

I hope everyone had a happy and relaxing Thanksgiving yesterday. I know I had a great day...with the exception of cooking through most of the Packers game and missing some of it...but, other than that, it was great.

Now, onto the reason for the post.

After everyone left yesterday I sat down to relax in front of my TV. Of course there were a million ads for early shopping specials this morning. I don't shop the day after Thanksgiving unless it is late in the afternoon. No sale is ever big enough for me to go out in those crowds. TJ and I went one year and it was too crazy. I waited in line to check out for nearly an hour...and the whole time I was thinking I could still be in bed.

But I digress (what else is new?)

One of the things I saw on TV last night was a promo for a special news report. They prefaced it with the fact that Black Friday was today and so many people would be out shopping and they felt that the public should know important information about the malls that they may go to. The information? The malls that are most likely to be targeted by thieves. I know that if I were going out at 4 this morning and a mall was on my stop, I think I would probably want to know which areas have had the highest crime rate. Let's face it, people can be crazy on Black Friday and if a news station had information that may keep me safe I would want it.

But I would have to wait, you see, because they aren't airing the show until Sunday night.

Does that make any sense to anyone? They pull me into this idea with the mention of Black Friday shopping but they won't give any information until Sunday...a day where very few people are going to rush out and go shopping.

If the news really wanted to help Black Friday shoppers they would have aired the special report last night, but they didn't. It's all about gaining viewers. And that is why the news irritates me so much--it's never really about delivering the news we need when we need it. Instead, it's about delivering news and reports when they can get the best ratings.

And that is just wrong.

1 rambled with me...:

Barb said...

I would never ever ever shop on Black Friday!

The scheduling of that show makes NO sense whatsoever.