CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Heads or Tails Tuesday!

Hooray! I'm back in the game. I have missed the last couple of weeks because of various (lame) excuses, but that is the past...today I am all in!

So, the topic of the day is road. That got me thinking about Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" (why? because I teach it every year and it is permanently stuck in my head.). When he wrote that poem he was, of course, talking about the choices that we make in our lives and how some are difficult to make because they are a choice others may not make and so on and so on. It's one of my favorites for many reasons. I love the symbolism, I love the rhythm and I love the rhyme scheme that he chose. Oddly enough, though, he never once had to rhyme anything with the word "road." That got me thinking about what he could have used in his fabulous rhyming pattern if he had to rhyme with the word "road."

According to RhymeZone, here are Robert Frost's choices had he needed to rhyme anything with road...

blowed, bode, bowed, brode, coad, code, crowed, flowed, gloede, glowed, goad, goedde, goede, grode, knode, knowed, load, lode, moad, mode, moede, mowed, node, ode, owed, rhoad, rhode, rode, roed, rohde, rowed, sewed, showed, shrode, slowed, snowed, sowed, stowed, strode, thode, toad, toed, towed, abode, bar code, bell toad, bestowed, bestrode, busload, c-code, case load, church mode, coed, commode, corrode, dead load, decode, encode, erode, explode, forebode, greek mode, health code, horned toad, implode, kanode, live load, lymph node, m-code, methode, morse code, out-mode, outmode, plateaued, reload, ribbed toad, sa node, source code, tailed toad, tree toad, true toad, unbowed, unload, zip code, agua toad, a la mode, building code, choral ode, color code, fire code, legal code, machine code, midwife toad, object code, order code, overflowed, overrode, penal code, postal code, secret code, texas toad, western toad, write in code, area code, ascending node, binary code, computer code, descending node, ethical code, horatian ode, medieval mode, musical mode, pindaric ode, southwestern toad, surinam toad, american toad, eurasian green toad, european toad, gregorian mode, operation code, pacific tree toad, yosemite toad, american green toad, error correction code, asynchronous transfer mode, ecclesiastical mode, international morse code, universal product code, south american poison toad

I am suddenly thankful that he didn't have to rhyme with "road." Somehow I don't think talking about the"asynchronous transfer mode" would have impacted me (or millions of others) as much.

Happy Tuesday!

11 rambled with me...:

Anonymous said...

wow, I love that poem too and great take on the theme this week!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I love the spin on Frost's poem that you wrote about. Very cool. :D

Rambler said...

what an interesting take on the topic Shan, cool :)

Misty DawnS said...

Great post - love the poem and the rhyming was fun!

Natalie said...

I love it! LOL!

Barb said...

The Binary Code Not Taken? Nahh.. not the same.. :)

Siani said...

Interesting take on this week's theme. Happy Tuesday!

peppylady (Dora) said...

So many road of life we go down and at var of speed.

Anonymous said...

You may not like "asynchronous transfer mode", but "international morse code" would've fit in the poem quite well, I think. Fun take on Frost. Thanks!

Andree said...

It's so strange (to me) to think that a poet deliberately sets out to create a rhythm. But it makes sense. Since I don't write poetry, poetry seems to flow effortlessly from a poet.

Jojo a. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.