CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Family Dinners

I often wonder if anyone cooks meals at home anymore. I wonder this because of how crowded restaurants are on random Tuesdays. I know that we always had dinner as a family (we called it supper then) everyday during the week. We ate at the same time everyday (six) and we all sat down together. We rarely had fast food. It was a treat if Mom or Dad stopped at McDonald's on the way home from work. This changed a little when my brother and I started working, but we still tried to eat together as much as we could.

Today, things seem much different. When I ask my students when the last time they had dinner as a family, they shrug and some say the holidays. That saddens me. This is the time when they should be enjoying being a family because soon those times will be gone.

And it isn't just my students. It's society, too. Pizza Hut has a new commercial about "dad's cooking dinner tonight" and the family walks in and dad has ordered Pizza Hut. The wife is soooo excited. In my mind I think "that isn't cooking for your family." I know that if TJ were to say he was cooking for me and I came home to Pizza Hut pizza and breadsticks, I would not run up and hug him in a passionate way. I would wonder why he couldn't take the time and effort to prepare a meal.

Bob Evans has jumped on that train, too. The scene? A big country farmhouse (complete with triangle used to call hungry farm hands). Farmer rings the triangle and yells "DINNER!" and no one comes. He continues to yell and no one comes. He rings a gong and the whole family appears next to the car...because they want stir fry at Bob Evans. What happened to the good home cooking that we usually see coming out of kitchens like that?

I will admit that I don't always love cooking or cleaning up the mess, but I like the idea of eating at home and cooking for the people that you care about. I understand the need to go out to eat every now and then, but many people go everyday...and I think that our family values and togetherness will suffer because of it. I know that TJ and I have decided that when we have a family, fast food will be a rare treat and family dinners will be common place.

I know a lot of people who have taken the fast food route and are okay with it...and if it works for them, I am not going to attack or say that it is wrong. I just think that everyone should take a few days a week to actually cook for their family. I know that it made a world of difference for me. I may not have always liked what we had for dinner, but I always liked who I shared dinner with. And I also knew that my mom had taken time out of her day to make it for me, so I felt special.

Cheesy? Maybe. Truth? Certainly.

Now that I am an adult, we still have family dinners. Every Sunday my mom and dad cook huge meals and we all go over and eat. It is great to take some time to sit together and talk and share food. It bridges any gaps that may have arisen in the week that has passed. Sometimes I take the dinner and everyone comes here. It's nice to sit down behind a plate of food that was made with love instead of with resentment. It's nice to share a meal with people I care about instead of strangers. And it's nicer still to know that it is a family tradition that will carry on through time.

6 rambled with me...:

Marci said...

I completely agree with you. Growing up, we all sat around the table, as a family. Mom or Dad cooked (and we loved helping out), then we all set the table and enjoyed dinner altogether.

One of the best parts was going around the table - each of us had a turn to talk about our days and share with the family. The dinner allowed us to be a part of each others' lives in a way that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Thanks for your meaning post. Maybe your role as teacher will enable you to teach your students about this important (but dying) family tradition.

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you!! Do you ever wonder how people can eat out all the time and eat the same food? Yes you can get different things off the menu but it all gets old! Nick and I eat with our families every week, at least once. Fridays at his mom's and mondays at mine. Funny how times have changed. Ya wonder what's wrong with the world today....

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with the importance of family dinner. All of my friends knew they couldn't call the house at 5:30 because that's when we would be eating. In our house we always talked about our days but had the news on as well. When topics that were a little more difficult to discuss with kids came up, mom and dad would use that opportunity to teach us. I will say that in my restaurant most of our weekday business consists of business dinners, singles, or older people. I can not say that is true for Chris' restaurant...he hands out more coloring books during the week than on the weekend. It's sad that parents don't take that opportunity to talk with their kids...but a lot of parents aren't taking any opportunity to talk with their kids :(

Barb said...

When I was growing up they didn't even HAVE drive-thru windows or fast food.. with the exception maybe of A&W. Supper (we called it that, too) was always together as a family.

When I was raising my kids, I believed that supper was an important time and meal. Sure we'd bring home McD, but we still ate as a family.

On Fridays we made our own pizzas. I'd roll out homemade dough on a couple pizza pans, add the sauce. Then everyone could add their own toppings from a variety of things I had chopped up.

My daughter believes in home cooking. One of my sons is the cook for he and his wife. The other son and family do a lot of take-out.

Shan said...

Wow! It seems we all have a strong opinion about this one. I looks like we all had family time at supper (dinner) and it looks like we all agree that times have changed. I saw another commercial last night (Chili's) where a husband and wife we talking about what the other was going to fix to eat and suddenly the Chili's logo appeared in their garage so they went out to eat.

TJ and I had some errands to run last night and I was amazed at how crowded restaraunts were on a MONDAY! we had dinner before we went out :-)

Anonymous said...

http://insuranceinstates.com/california/Los%20Angeles/Hill%20House/90034/