CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 14, 2007

Update...

Wednesday I posted about the woman who left her child in her car in Ohio...and I mentioned that there were no charges filed and asked you all to let me know how you felt about it. A new article came out today about this, and it included an interview with her. I originally had my thoughts and comments in here, but I decided to remove them...when I looked back and read it, I saw how angry I really was, so I removed them. They were not the best side of my personality...

Here you go (as posted on Channel Cincinnati this morning);

In her first public comments since her 2-year-old died in a hot car last month, Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby said she talked at lunch that day about her children, not realizing she'd left her daughter out in the vehicle.

When she found the toddler later in the day, Nesselroad-Slaby was shattered.
"No one can ever imagine what it's like to pull your baby out of the car like that. I knew she was gone. My life will never be the same," Nesselroad-Slaby said, in an interview with The Community Press published Friday by the suburban newspaper's sister publication, The Cincinnati Enquirer.


In trying to explain events leading up to the Aug. 23 death of daughter Cecilia, Nesselroad-Slaby, 40, said she felt under pressure juggling her duties as mother and as assistant principal at Glen Este Middle School, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati.

"I felt like I had to be super-mom and super-administrator," she said.

That particular morning was chaotic and later "I talked to people at lunch that day about my kids, and it didn't even click" that the child was in the vehicle, Nesselroad-Slaby said.

While Cecilia was strapped into her car seat in the back seat, temperatures outside reached about 100 degrees.


Prosecutor Don White said Thursday he has asked a state legislator to propose changes to the law so that it would be possible to charge someone if a child accidentally left in a car was seriously injured or died.

Two attorneys in his office are drafting the language for a bill, White said. He plans to present it to the legislative and executive committees of the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association next Thursday in Columbus for review and possible endorsement.

"I don't know how you punish somebody for something that was an accident," Nesselroad-Slaby said of the proposal. "A law is to prevent something, but you can't prevent something that's an accident."

Barry Wilford, president of the Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, said reducing the legal requirement for prosecution from recklessness to negligence in cases of accidents would expose much of the population to prosecution.

"Criminal law has historically recognized that everyone makes mistakes and unintended consequences result from those," Wilford said. "Generally, we don't send people to prison for that."

Nesselroad-Slaby said she wants to return to work at Glen Este Middle School.
"There is conflict every day - this just might be a different kind of conflict. My hope is that it won't be every day. I'm not sure that it's our parents (the parents of children at the school) that are being negative," she said.


"Live for the positive and work through negative, that's what I've done every day at that job. If they would let me, I'd love to go back," she said.

"I'm a pretty tough cookie," Nesselroad-Slaby said. "I started a job -- I started with a purpose this year -- and I don't want to lose that."

Let me know what you think of this latest development.

3 rambled with me...:

Anonymous said...

I think your comments left me with nothing else to say. She should be punished for negligence...period.

Anonymous said...

This woman needs to be put in a car in 120 degree temperatures for 8 hours and see how it feels! Her job should be the least of her worries.

Shan said...

nicole--I couldn't refrain from commenting on her ideas. I was just going to post the interview, but I was too fired up about it to do that.

Melissa: I completely agree! What a great idea--just to let her know how it felt...even if it is just briefly.