CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Heads or Tails Tuesday!


Today's topic for Skittles' super fun meme is school...I think I can cover this one :-)

You all know that I teach. I have been teaching for eight years and although it drives me crazy most of the time, I can't think of anything else I would rather do. If knowing I may change a life isn't enough, I can always think of what great fodder for a book I will have in the future. For today's school meme, I would like to list a few things I have learned while teaching high school...some serious, some not so serious (hopefully you can tell them apart):


  1. Never tell a kid with anger issues to get to work--he may throw a desk at you.

  2. Contrary to popular belief, sarcasm is an effective classroom management tool.

  3. You can make 150 copies, use the restroom, and check your email in under 4 minutes.

  4. You can also eat a full meal in under 20 minutes (and, unfortunately, that translates to actual dinners and meals with people outside of school)

  5. You can't be in it for the money.

  6. Snow days are happy days!

  7. Parents don't always back you.

  8. No matter how hard I try, kids will fail.

  9. Some kids don't like me...that's okay. I don't like some of them, either.

  10. "We've heard the same thing from his teachers since he was five" is a common parent response to any concern.

  11. Contrary to our contract, our workday is NOT from 7:15 to 2:45.

  12. Befriend custodians, secretaries and cafeteria ladies--they really run the school!

  13. No matter how hard you want to, you can't laugh when a kid says something inappropriate--you have to be the teacher. (You can laugh about it later)

  14. It probably isn't smart to block the door when a kid three times your size is trying to exit without permission.

  15. The kid in the back who acts like a punk and sleeps may not be a punk at all--he may just be confused and afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.

  16. It's okay to make your classroom NOT look like a classroom--decorations are good and make the kids feel at home.

  17. I can say "Because I said so" and have it work!

  18. Yelling "Ewwwww! Gross!" is an effective way to end kissing in the hallway.

  19. Chicken Nugget day will cause cafeteria drama.

  20. It is all worth it.

9 rambled with me...:

The Curmudgeon said...

Most of these seem pretty reasonable.

I think I might challenge you, though, on no. 3: Copiers seem to know when you're in a hurry.

That's when they get paper jams.

Shan said...

Welcome!

...agreed on the copier thing--ours break at the star of the year and at midterm and final exam time...and we have four copiers! At the start of school we were down to one!

Angie said...

This is a fantastic post.
And just so everyone knows, as a lunch room supervisor I really do run the school! (smiles)

In our school it's french toast day that causes all the drama!

Who doesn't love a snow day? Let is snow.

Andree said...

Great list and a great post (wish I had thought of it!!). I wouldn't do anything else either. Every day is new and every day causes introspection (which works some days and doesn't work on others). This is a great topic and I'm learning a lot about the students' point of view.

Shan said...

aj: French toast day, huh? Although we do serve breakfast, I don't think any of the food has ever caused drama.

Welcome, meeyauw. You are right about the introspection part...there are days I'm like "that went well," and there are days I'm like "what the hell was I thinking?"

Shelby said...

we need more teachers like you.. :)

Shan said...

Thanks, shelby :-)

Misty DawnS said...

What a fabulous post! I loved this! I am not a teacher, yet my aunt (the one who raised me) is a teacher - so I could relate to the things you said! I loved the part about how fast you can eat... she does that to me all the time! I'll be just starting to eat and she's done!

Shan said...

Thanks, misty...the eating thing is a horrible habit. I try so hard not to do it when I am at home or out to dinner, but it just happens. Luckily my friends and family understand.