CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 10, 2007

When Did We Get to Hell?

Sorry if the title takes anyone by surprise, but it was the best fit considering the topic of the day:

HEAT!

Yes, ladies and gents, here in Northern Kentucky it has been no lower than 97 for the last five days. Wednesday we hit 99 and yesterday we hit 100. When I was driving home last night (at 5:30) by car thermometer said it was 102 outside. I believe it. Add to that the fact that we have had like 95% humidity...they said it felt like 110 on Thursday. Gross. I like hot weather, but I don't like this. It is oppressive. You break a massive sweat just walking from your car into a building. It's ridiculous.

Our poor grass is completely brown. We have our lawn treated for weeds and stuff and the last time the guy came out he was like "Uh, the yard looks a little dry. You should water it." Really? Dry? Just because we haven't had decent rain in three months and it has been scorchingly hot? (I think it has been in the 90's every day for over a month now.) Watering is the logical solution, but we have over an acre of lawn--that's a lot of water! We do have a bright green, lush oasis type patch of grass where are leech lines are for our septic system. It's actually hilarious...brown front yard, one very green strip.

On the bright side...it's supposed to cool down today. They said it will only be 90. Yes, you read that right. 90 is cool...

...in Hell.

10 rambled with me...:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing this heat problem is touching everyone, even here in Canada, it's been soo incredibly hot.

I was watching the Oprah show when Al Gore was talking about global warming. This situation will get worse.

That scares me.

Angie said...

The humidity has been so bad around here (Mi.) And when you add that to the heat I swear I'm going to die as soon as I walk outside.

Barb said...

Ditto what AJ said as we live fairly close. In fact our hubbys work at the same place!

You won the caption contest!

Marci said...

That sounds AWFUL!!! We had a heatwave here in NY this past week, but, of course, I was in Arizona - guess I can't complain about the heat there....not much of a surprise, I suppose :)

sorry about your lawn!!!

Shan said...

jo: I know what you mean--this has been such a bad summer for crops and such (my dad's garden is in dire straights)...where will we be in five years?

aj: When I watch the weather to see if we are the only lucky ones, I noticed that lots of places are in trouble. You are right--the humidity is horrible and miserable.

Skit: I had no idea you and aj were so close together! And, spiffy--I won! :-)

marci: out west if different. I went to Vegas last year and it was 110...but no humidity. It wasn't too bad, really. And thanks for the lawn sympathy--we hope it comes back next spring, but we aren't holding our breath.

Jane said...

Hi there blogging fellow, I'm back in the North and it's HOT AS HELL! I've been living in Canada for a while now and I've never seen anything like it.

I have a feeling that next Christmas we'll all be drinking martinis and grilling beef burgers on a hot barbeque. Exciting.

Shan said...

It's crazy, isn't it? This weather is killing me (and our grass). Not to mention the fact the dogs want nothing to do with outside at all...bad all around.

Barb said...

I have a special sticky post up!

Todd Camplin said...

Best thing about Kentucky weather is that it will change quickly. I remember that it was raining on one side of the street and very sunny on the other. Even when the weather drys up the grass to dust my father will still mow the grass.

Christine and FAZ said...

we've been having floods here in the UK and, having suffered both in Australia, I have to say that on the whole I prefer floods assuming you've got somewhere reasonably safe to sit them out - we all need water to survive.