CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 18, 2007

Why is it Always Bad News?

I realized last night why I really hate watching the news.

TJ and I had just finished watching the premiere of Last Comic Standing when the local news came on. The top five news stories? A triple shooting, a drowning, another shooting, a murder, a house fire that caused $150,000 worth of damage. The next four stories? Another shooting, another house fire, another drowning, and a missing woman who is nine months pregnant (her family, of course, fears the worst because if they were optimistic the story probably wouldn't have gotten on the news).

Why watch the news? Honestly--they can't ever report anything good. I'm sure there were some church festivals this weekend (St. Henry being one of them) or some kick-ass family picnics somewhere for Father's day. The Florence Freedom had their "Bark in the Park" on Sunday night (take your dogs to the ballpark night). The Cincinnati Roller Girls had an All Star match Saturday night...but where were those stories?

Why is our society so violent? Because the media GLORIFIES it! It never fails--if there is one school violence thing on the news there will be at least three more within the next week. Why? Because it is a sure fire way to get attention.

Until the news decides that there are other things in this world than violence, hatred and sadness, we will never be a calm, unified, happy society. And until they decide to break up the bad news with the good news that is happening all over, I think I'll stay away from the news for a while. Why fear that which I cannot control? I would rather spend my days reflecting on all the good things that I have done and that I know others are doing.

Have a great Monday.

0 rambled with me...: