CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 22, 2007

Death to Snap, Crackle and Pop?

I have heard a lot of ridiculous things in my nearly thirty (gag) years on Earth, but what I read today takes the cake (or should I saw low calorie, no trans-fat faux cake?).

It seems that Kellogg's has decided that the cereals that Toucan Sam, Snap, Crackle and Pop advertise are not healthy enough for kids, so they are going to refrain from using those icons until their cereals meet their new health standards. What are the new standards? According to a news article printed this morning, they are:

fewer than 200 calories, fewer than 2 grams of saturated fat (and no trans fats), fewer than 230 milligrams of sodium and fewer than 12 grams per serving. (It's the sodium that gets the Rice Krispies.)

I grew up with these icons. I saw them on Saturday morning commercials (when Saturday morning cartoons were worth getting up for). I turned out okay. You know why? Because I didn't have McDonald's four times a week or sit down and eat a bag of chips and drink a twelve pack of Mountain Dew everyday after school.

Although I applaud cereal companies for trying to make things more healthy and improve the quality of life for kids it isn't enough. Kellogg's can pull those icons off the air and change their cereals, but, until parents decide to cook actual meals, buy fruit and keep sodas to a minimum in their household changes like this to the advertising of cereal won't make much difference.

What's next? A skinny Santa Claus who eats carrot sticks instead of cookies and milk?

Heaven help us.

4 rambled with me...:

Angie said...

I was pretty upset when I heard this too. Who buys the darn cereal in the first place? I have two kids and I don't remember a time where they wanted a particular cereal because of the advertisement.

They both like Target brand Cinnamon Toast Crunch. - Maybe I have strange kids! (it has to be Target brand)

Anonymous said...

It's all about liability, health insurance, and obesity. Don’t think for one second that Kellogg’s is putting it’s customers best interest ahead of it’s own. It’s all about the bottom dollar.

This move by Kellogg’s was probably inspired by their legal department. Law suits cost more than cutting calories.

Anonymous said...

The thought of a Santa Claus drinking Diet Coca-Cola is not very much appealing. And for Kelloggs: Give us a break, you guys are probably making more money with those Rice Cripies than you are with those little Corn Flakes of yours.

We'll take care of our respective diets ourselves.

Poor Santa

Shan said...

Poor Santa indeed--it all falls on personal responsibility...do I like cookies? Sure I do. Will I eat a dozen because someone advertised that the cookies are good? Hell no I won't--because I have common sense.

Sheesh.

And I agree with you, a.j.--the parents buy the cereal anyhow--and they should also use common sense. You don't have strange kids--I like Kroger brand cereals over brand name... :-)