CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The First Day of Spring (or is it?)

This has been some confusion for me. According to my desk calendar here at home, spring begins tomorrow. According to my calendar at work, spring begins today. I always thought it was the 21st. Like summer begins on June 21st, fall begins on September 21st, and winter begins on December 21st. Logically, spring should begin on March 21st. So why did the news say that Spring began today and why does my wall calendar say that at work? Is it like a date range is the first day of spring or is today like "Spring Eve" or something? This makes little sense. If we can't come up with a solid date, what's next? Moving Christmas?

Now, although moving Christmas is a ridiculous idea, someone decided to move something else that has been in the same spot for years. What? Springing ahead. Yep, three weeks early this year! I was just getting used to it being light when I went off to work, and now it is dark again. Sure, it is lighter longer (like right now it is 7:15 and bright as can be), but was it really worth it? We sprung ahead IN WINTER! Does anyone else see the oddity here or is it just me? If we are going to set out clocks forward that early, we need another name instead of "springing" ahead. Like "creating more light" or "moving the clock" or "affecting every one's sleep cycle because we are bored" or something. But not "springing" ahead--especially if it isn't spring.

Anyway, regardless of what day you think spring begins, the fact is that winter is over and we can look forward to nicer weather in our future (which is great). No more snow days (we hope) and no more winter coats (fingers crossed). I am ready for some sandal weather. After all, Old Navy has their flip-flops out and it is time I wear a pair.

Happy Spring Eve!

0 rambled with me...: